It's that time of year again. New Years traditionally is a time to reflect upon the year and make resolutions for the upcoming year. Like so many others, I have decided to make a blog post to document and motivate my goals for 2014. So here goes.
1. Attain a better work/life balance. As is the nature of networking and working for a VAR, I find myself working after hours quite frequently. This makes it challenging to keep a healthy lifestyle outside of the workplace. This is going to be a work in progress all year, but I hope to find a good balance.
2. Blog more. I have several ideas saved up for future blog posts that I would like to write. The ultimate goal is to make it easier for younger people to enter and succeed in the field. As a side effect, it will help me learn as I further my learning and will be a reference for me in the future.
3. Attain CCNP R&S certification. I have the CCNP switch exam out of the way. I am currently studying for the routing exam and I purchased a block of Cisco Learning Lab hours. I would like pass both routing and tshoot exams in 2014.
1. I would like to become more physically fit. I'm not really out of shape, but I don't work proactively to keep in shape. As I've discovered, the better I take care of myself the better I feel. I recently ordered a FitBit Force, which tracks fitness habits and sleep patterns.
2. Spend more time with family and friends. My family all lives close by, but I don't see them as often as I would like, maybe once or twice a month. My brother has three kids that I love to death and would love to see more often.
3. Vacation more often. This goes along with having a healthy work/life balance.I really should utilize all my given vacation time and use it to travel around the country and/or the world. I love travelling, but I'm often constrained by time and money, but short trips can be relatively inexpensive and are great at dealing with work stress.
So those are my resolutions for the year. Feel free to offer suggestions or add your own goals in the comments.